The Board of Trustees of the Alamo Colleges District located in San Antonio, Texas, invites applications and nominations for the position of Chancellor.
The Alamo Colleges District includes Palo Alto College, Northwest Vista College, San Antonio College, St. Philip’s College, and Northeast Lakeview College along with a number of off-campus locations throughout the San Antonio metropolitan area, serving a ten county region. We are one of the nation’s largest post-secondary institutions, with a total enrollment of over 100,000 students.
The colleges are located in the unique world-renowned River City of Texas with a dynamic multi-cultural and diverse population. San Antonio, the nation’s seventh-largest city, has a historical and culturally dynamic economy rapidly expanding from traditional military and service sectors into telecommunications, biomedical science, information technology and data security. Its inland rail port is a fast-growing transshipment point for trade between China and the U. S. through Mexico’s Pacific coast. Its three major museums, local theater companies and several large venues draw national touring shows and events in art, theater and music. The San Antonio Spurs provide a focus for sports fans, families and civic pride and the Alamo is significant for its symbolic history. A moderate cost of living assures attractive options for home ownership.
The Alamo Colleges are all Hispanic Serving Institutions and one college is also recognized as a Historically Black College. We are Texas’s largest provider of online post-secondary education. A vibrant international program brings an increasing global demand for our programs.
The successful candidate must be a person of proven integrity, with a minimum of five years of experience in a senior leadership role in a public community college. Experience in a multi-college/campus system in a multi-cultural and pluralistic setting is preferred and an earned doctorate degree. Leadership experience should include demonstrated experience in enhancing student success, social equity and equal opportunity for all.
The Chancellor should:
· Understand complexities of the community college mission and be passionate about the Alamo Way focus on Student Success, Principle-Centered Leadership and Performance Excellence
· Be a “Change Agent” committed to continuing Alamo Institutes (Pathways) and transforming the teaching/learning process while continuously improving student success metrics
· Be an excellent communicator and collaborative/respectful leader of faculty and staff, and respected community presence
· Have a strong record in building and sustaining community and business partnerships
· Have demonstrated strength in organization and operations expertise including development of high-performing teams, assessment of institutional effectiveness coupled with continuous improvement, uses of technology, accreditation/agency/governmental guidelines, strategic planning, and resource development and allocation
· Be a strong partner with the Board of Trustees in visioning, policy direction, resource the allocation, real estate/capital improvements/ bond initiatives and ensuring excellence in all that Alamo Colleges District does.
As a leader, the Chancellor should demonstrate:
· Vision and strategic planning skills
· “Big picture/analytical thinking” coupled with strong organizational and leadership development skills
· In-depth knowledge of community colleges and student success knowledge
· Strong change management skills/action orientation
· Excellent communication/inter-personal skills with expertise in building and sustaining partnerships
· Strong focus on community & business accountability
The preferred application period will close on 12/22/2017. The date after which applications are not guaranteed a review is 01/05/2018. For more information about this search, the Alamo Colleges District and the application process, please visit our website at http://www.alamo.edu and click on “Chancellor Search.”
For information call Human Resources at 210-485-0233.